Monday, August 8, 2011

Running?

As I mentioned before, I am training to run the Charlottesville Women's 4 Miler with my friends. I am using a Couch to 5K program and have done really well. So far, I haven't hit a day that I couldn't finish. Only, I am only on week 4 and the race is in less than 4 weeks, meaning I won't hit the end of the training before the race. The reason is my stupid back. I had pretty bad sciatica with both pregnancies, only with my first, it went away after delivery. This time, it's gotten worse and as Lucy is 9 months old, clearly it can't be pregnancy related. I finally saw a spine doctor who said I likely sustained an injury during Lucy's delivery (since it was so fast and not well controlled) and to do ice, Advil and PT. And, no more running. I was really disappointed but it actually doesn't hurt WHEN I am running (only after) so I decided to just continue to train and do the ice and Advil right after running.

Some days, I can't walk by the end of the day, running or no running. I can't sit on the floor with the kids for more than a minute. Giving them baths is excruciating. I haven't made it to PT yet, largely because I have been down this road before and I know it's not going to make a difference and it's really expensive. Now my hip is getting out of whack because of how I compensate to walk when my back is messed up. Did I mention I am only 33???

It's discouraging, it's painful and it makes me mad. Will it always be like this? I can't believe that my activities are limited. Sucks. So, for now, I have resigned that I will not be able to run the whole 4 miles. I hope I can at least run the last half, but we will see. Makes me really sad.

There's always next year, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. i am so sorry melissa. rest. rest. rest. take this time and use it wisely. this pain won't last forever and there will be more races.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, just saw this post. How are you feeling? Is it any better? I know they say that pain means stop (whoever the hell "they" are), so don't push yourself. Are you still doing the 4-miler? I think Kelly Woodling will be there walking...hope you heal quickly!!

    ReplyDelete