Wednesday, February 1, 2012

On ending nursing.

When Theo stopped nursing, it was so hard. I wrote about it. I will do that for Lucy, but just haven't yet. I feel guilty about that, but I think it's largely because I was REALLY ready. I was committed to letting her lead the way just like I did with Theo and I did that. And three weeks ago, I finally accepted that she was over it. She was down to nursing just at night and she wouldn't latch, she'd just reach for her crib. Sister always knows what she wants and after her bath and PJs, she wanted to snuggle in her crib. Fair enough.

So, we made it 14.5 months and like big brother, she never had a drop of formula. She's the last baby I will ever nurse. It was bittersweet for sure. Though, after sharing my body with another human for nearly 4 years, I was more than ready to have it back. It's nice to have the freedom to grab dinner with a friend after work now and again and let Susan handle bedtime. It's nice to not worry if the only thing I've had to drink all day was a cup of coffee and a diet Coke. It's nice to take any old medicine I want for whatever ailment I have. I'm happy to just worry about myself for awhile (well, physically I mean).

That said, I will always miss nursing. It's sacred and special - growing another person. For both of my kids, I know I gave them something that no one else in the world could. I am very proud of that, especially considering how difficult the early weeks were. And soon I will write Lucy that letter for her book, so she will always know that no matter how hard it was, we made it through and we are both better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment