Sunday, December 13, 2009

Why little boys need helmets.


Today we survived Theo's first trip to the ER. While I was busily making him a grilled cheese for lunch, he was playing in the kitchen near me. I turned my head for a second, hear a 'thunk' and a scream and the next thing I know, my poor baby has a big gash on his head that is bleeding everywhere. He had fallen head first into the door hinge on the pantry door. I screamed for Susan and we rushed off to the ER while I held ice and kept pressure on it the whole time. All the while, shaking like a leaf while Susan took a turn being the calm one.*

By the time we got there, it didn't look as bad as it did when it first happened, but they did use some skin glue on it and said he didn't need a stitch. He charmed the pants off all the staff and really, I took it the worst of the three of us. We were in and out quickly and came home for lunch and a nap. Oh, and I broke my biggest rule about his eating and let him try two Wendy's french fries on the way home. I figured he earned them. 

So, he's fine. We're fine. And, we are getting him fitted for a helmet. At least Theo has relieved me of having to live through my 90's, because I am sure that took 10 years off my life. 

*The pineapple incident. Enough said.

Here's a picture of him calling his grandparents while we waiting on the doc (except it wasn't a doc, it was a PA - I guess the triage nurse assigns PAs to nervous parents whose kids really aren't injured that bad). 





2 comments:

  1. Poor little guy :( Glad it wasn't too serious, and everything turned out okay. He looks super cute calling grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad he is okay!! How scary. I hope you splurged and had a glass of wine with your wendy's french fries :)

    ReplyDelete