Saturday, November 5, 2011

Almost a sad Halloween.

DSC_0623 by MelissaandSusan
DSC_0623, a photo by MelissaandSusan on Flickr.

After having beautiful weather for all our fall events thus far, it rained on Halloween. We'd made plans to go ToT'ing with a friend who lives in the neighborhood we hope to move to, but due to the rain we decided to stay home. My thought was we could each take him to a few houses and switch off staying with Lucy.

We carved pumpkins, had pizza for dinner and by that point it was POURING. Theo was so, so excited, so I bundled us up and out we went. Only, our neighborhood sucks and we walked up and down the street in the rain to find only one house with a light on. I had tears in my eyes seeing him shuffle down the street in the rain, with his big, excited smile and empty little pumpkin.

I gave up and came home, apologizing that no one was going to give him any candy. By that point, Lucy needed to be nursed and go to bed, so Susan put him in the car and drove him to a very close neighborhood. I got Lucy down and then sat on the couch and cried. I hate where we live on a good day and I was hating it even more now that his first big ToT'ing was ruined. I was just so disappointed. Well, a bit later, he and Susan walked in. He was soaking wet, but had a huge smile and a bag full of candy. Susan said the other neighborhood was full of people happy to hand out candy and that Theo had a blast. She offered to switch with me, but at that point it was late and dark and he was wet and had had an awesome time and that was all that mattered.

I took off his costume and his wet shoes and socks and we let him eat one piece of candy and offered him a very special treat: a Halloween donut. He ate off a few sprinkles, took a tiny bite and declared himself "done!"

I'm so glad his big day ended well and hope that very soon we are in a much better neighborhood.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds super frustrating...but I'm glad it all worked out in the end. He looks super cute in his costume :)

    ReplyDelete