Friday, October 2, 2009

Hey, remember that time we went didn't go apple picking?

I love fall. I love all things fall, apple picking included. Susan and I made plans to meet our wonderful friend, Kelsi, see her new house and then travel on to pick our own apples last weekend, but then it rained. We rescheduled for today and we were so excited. Visions of apple pies, apple butter and apple brown betty danced in my head during the 90 minute sojurn to the orchard I had passed on my way to the zoo a few weeks ago.  When we pulled in, it looked a little less impressive than the orchard Susan and I had been to in Vermont a few years ago. And by this I mean, there were lots of trees but nary an apple in sight. I sent the girls to suss out the situation while I gave Theo a bite sip to drink, but they decided to wait on us. We all went in together only to be told by the owner that they were sorry, but they were "all picked out." That's right, folks. We drove 90 minutes and would not get to pick a single apple. 

I think we were mostly in shock and I felt stupid for not calling or checking the website (which had apparently been updated as to their new status last week) before making the drive. What a disappointment! Kelsi decided to buy some apples they had already picked while Susan and I staged some pictures so we could one day tell Theo about the day we went didn't go apple picking. 

On the upside, Kelsi's house is fabulous, she saved us some of her homemade chocolate caramel doughnuts, we had a GREAT time walking around downtown Pittsboro and eating at a cute soda shop, Theo played in a wonderful little toy store that specializes in wooden toys and the weather was fall-ish. In unrelated news, I also learned how to ungrain my pictures on the blog. Hey, when life gives you (no) apples, make cider!

5 comments:

  1. Awwww....the proverbial "Wally World" trip.....bummer. Well, at least you didn't demand apples at gunpoint ! ~Mom ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it! what a wonderful description of our day making "cider!!"

    i had a great time you with all and can't wait until our next get together. hopefully it will be the fair!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. please excuse my dyslexic moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. adorable photo of theo!! sorry you weren't able to get apples -- sounds like you had fun anyway though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do share your "ungraining" knowledge! I've been so hestitant with blogger cause the picture quality sucks. Theo is super cute, by the way!

    ReplyDelete