Friday, September 9, 2011

4 Miler!

W4M by MelissaandSusan
W4M, a photo by MelissaandSusan on Flickr.

Last weekend, we went up to Virginia so I could run (walk) the Women's 4 Miler. It's an awesome race and so much fun. I ran it for the first and last time 7 years ago with my friend, Jenny. That year, we did the summer long training program and I was able to run the whole thing. Here we are, many years, pounds, marriages and kids later. Jenny can still run - me, not so much. I mentioned below that the doctors told me I could not run, due to an injury I sustained during Lucy's birth. As much as I HATED it, I had to abide by their direction and walk the race. I did run the last 1/2 mile, though!

In the end, it was still fun, even without running. I walked with a friend and saw nearly everyone in C'ville that I wanted to. It was super excellent to see Jenny and Thistle. I was only bummed that their kiddos weren't there. We brought Lucy and left Theo home with my parents since we had to leave at 5:00am. We've never done that before and Theo did great! Susan had an easier time with just one kid to keep up with and we all went for Bodo's afterwards. Ah, Bodo's. How I miss you.

We were all supposed to go back home on Saturday after the race, but my parents convinced me to stay with the kids through the weekend. They drove us home on Labor Day in Mom's fancy van where Theo got to watch a movie on the way home. He was in heaven.

As always, I spent the ride home being sad to go home. I just love Charlottesville. I miss my friends. I wish our kids were growing up close. And, it's so nice to have my parents around to pitch in with the kids. We have it good here and we also have excellent friends here that we'd miss, but I am not sure if this will ever feel like "home." Moving away was the right thing at the time. Maybe one day, we will find our way back. In the meantime, I hope to meet up with these girls again next year and next time be able to run!

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS Melissa!

    For the record, you are not allowed to leave. Sorry.

    Really looking forward to seeing you at Book Club and Apple Picking with the Family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I must have run the race for the first and last time the same year as you - 2004? I had just moved to C-ville for the job and ended up doing the training with Kelly W. I did not run the whole thing (at all) - maybe 1/2 mile....but I loved hanging out with everyone and feeling like I was a part of something. Now all my buddies have moved, I rarely see Thistle and Jenny...so here I am in C-ville, but feeling like I still don't have friends - funny how time does that to us.

    ReplyDelete