Thursday, June 10, 2010

On shopping for a girl.

When I found out I was having a boy two years ago, I thought "but there are no cute clothes for boys!" How wrong I was. I LOVE dressing our little guy and have no trouble at all finding handsome stuff for him to wear. I'm a sucker for plaid shorts and polos and basically anything that you can't tell where it came from by looking at it. You know, some clothes just scream Carter's and Gymboree. Not that he doesn't have some of those brands, but I do try to steer away from stuff with animals wearing clothes and performing impossible tasks for their species, such as skateboarding or driving a tractor. Just not my speed.

Anywho, I have started a little shopping for Lucy. I was pleased to find that Carter's does a much better job with girl clothes and even managed to find some very pretty, classic, non-pink options. Don't be misled, I love pink, but I assume she will collect a lot of that along the way, so I thought I'd put myself in charge of filling in with non-pink stuff. I haven't paid a ton of attention to what's in stores for little girls since I haven't had one to buy for, but I can say, I was sort of appauled at some of the choices. Words written on the butt of shorts such as "diva" or "cutie", bathing suits with little triangles for tops (for infants!!) and shorts that are so absurdly short, I had to buy two sizes up just to get a reasonable length. It's been a little frustrating because all too soon we'll be fighting with teenagers about clothes and I'd like to keep my kids little as long as possible. Also, I found myself thinking about the implications of the differences in clothes for boys and girls and the social implications of raising girls. But, that's a post for another day.

With a little help from my shopping buddy, we did manage to get Lucy all squared away for next summer (only summer clothes in the store right now) and I have picked up a very sweet white infant gown with her monogram. I LOVE monograms! So, the search continues for 0-6 month size stuff for fall and winter -- at least there won't be triangle tops!

3 comments:

  1. The swimsuit options for little girls really is shocking. There are some times the thought of trying to parent a girl today terrifies me. You have been entrusted with a great responsibility!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know! Much more anxiety producing than raising Theo, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appalled is right! Those triangle tops are seriously disturbing. None of those in our house, either!

    ReplyDelete