Monday, June 7, 2010

Meatless Monday.

I've noticed a few of my friends are looking for some non-meat options for the summer. This is my absolute FAVORITE summer dish. It's a recipe from my grandmother and what I always wanted for my birthday dinner (which is in October, not the easiest time to get yellow squash!).

Enjoy!

Squash Casserole
4 medium sized yellow squash, thickly sliced
1 medium onion, cut in half, then sliced (I use 1/2-3/4 of an onion, your choice)
2 carrots, shredded
1 can Cream of Celery soup
1 cup of sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
7 oz. bag of Pepperidge Farms Cornbread Stuffing
1/2 stick of butter

1. Put sliced onion and squash in a pot, covered with water and bring to boil. After boiling, cover the pot and boil for 4 minutes.
2. Drain squash and onions and put in a mixing bowl with the carrots, Cream of Celery, sour cream and salt and pepper. Mix it up.
3. Melt butter. In a separate mixing bowl, mix the butter with the cornbread stuffing mix. It is just meant to lightly coat it.
4. Press 1/2 of the stuffing mixture into a dutch oven (or whatever you can bake in). Pour the filling over top. Press remaining stuffing mix on top.
5. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for an hour.

Freezes well!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds yum! Might need to try this for Ellie- love the "sneaky" carrots shredded in the dish :)

    ReplyDelete