Monday, May 31, 2010

More details on our bun in the oven.

Whew, what a whirlwind weekend! We just got back from a weekend in Charleston, celebrating the wedding of an old family friend. More on that later.

We scheduled the big ultrasound for the Friday before we went away so that my mom could be here, too. That meant not a lot of time to post many details about how things went, so here's the 411.

So, we had a good idea the baby was going to be a girl. At the 12 week ultrasound, I asked the tech and the perinatologist to make a guess based on the nub theory. He was very hesitant to do so, as this is very new technology and the baby has to be in EXACTLY the right position to make a good guess. Based on how she was laying then, he guessed girl. We promised not to buy a bunch of pink, as I don't really buy into this theory anyway. We decided to keep the information to ourselves, though, as not to get anyone too excited in case he was wrong. Also, I have been SOOO much sicker this go 'round than I was with Theo, so that gave me a clue. And, with Theo everyone said I was cute and glowy and this time I feel pretty ugly and dull, so I thought of the old wives tale that girls take their mother's beauty. So, we weren't that surprised by finding out, but it is still such a fun day in pregnancy. And there was NO question when we got the money shot. Three little lines just as clear as day.

The ultrasound looked great and she is very healthy. We clearly saw all 4 chambers of the heart, fluid around the brain, amniotic fluid and could even count her fingers. She has big feet and very long legs! She is an active girl and had one hand over her heart, which made it a little difficult for the tech to see what he needed, but she eventually moved it. We thought she was just adorable! Unfortunately, I have the same cord issue that I had with Theo. It's called marginal cord insertion and it means the cord is attached at the edge of the placenta instead of the center where it should be. This usually does not cause any issues, but may mean she will be a little small. They will do another ultrasound around 30 weeks to check her size. Fine by us, we love ultrasounds! This did not cause any issues at all with Theo and he was a perfect size at birth, so we aren't worried at all.

And, lastly - name details. Most of you should know by now that our girl will be named Lucinda Katherine and we will call her Lucy. We have also tossed around "Lucy Kate" as a nickname, but I doubt that will stick - unless we are feeling very southern on the day she is born! Susan gave me naming rights since the pregnancy has been so horrible. I was excited, but wouldn't have picked a name I knew she hated even if it was one I really liked. Lucy has been on our list since I was pregnant with Theo, so I knew she liked it. We wanted a longer version because our last name is so short and to give her more options when she is grown. Lucinda Williams is a folk singer we really liked, so that gave us a little inspiration. The middle name was totally my call. I have always loved the name Katherine, particularly with a nickname of Kate. I thought it went well with Lucinda and opened up a few nickname options as well. So, there you have it - a name was born!

We are thrilled that Lucy looked so healthy and that everything is moving along like it should. It was fun to be able to tell old friends this weekend while out of town and to start calling her by her name. Now I just have to find something to order with her monogram. Nothing I love more than a good monogram!

Thanks for all the congratulations we received on Friday. It will take me time to get back to everyone, but we loved reading everything. We can't wait for you all to meet Lucy in October!

1 comment:

  1. What a neat day! I also love the name, you did very well. I'm sorry the pregnancy has been rough - this time around I've been sicker too. But a boy, hm.

    ReplyDelete