Sunday, September 5, 2010

A date with my favorite boy.

Theo and I went on a date today. It's something I've wanted to do before he starts preschool next week and his baby sister arrives next month (!!). A day just for us, as never again will it just be he and I. I decided to take him to the New Hope Valley Railway, which I learned about from another mom at a birthday party recently. It was so much fun! It was a bigger production than I thought it was going to be, honestly. They had some large model trains going, picnic tables, shaded areas, popcorn and other junk food to buy and the train itself is huge. The cars were open air and the weather was absolutely perfect. The ride is about 55 minutes long and he never once got bored. Afterwards, I situated us in the shade by the model trains for a picnic lunch. He had a great time eating and watching the trains go around. I got just a few pictures and only took the little point and shoot, so they aren't great. I will work on getting them on Flickr.

If you are a local, I highly recommend this activity. Kids under 2 are free, otherwise they are $7 and adults are $10. The website said to get there at least 30 minutes early and I was really, really glad I heeded that advice. The place was packed and if you weren't there early, you risked having to split up your party or sit in the caboose, which is enclosed. It was a little hard keeping him entertained while we just sat and waited to leave, so if you have more than one adult, I'd send one right away to get the tickets (you have to do this even if you buy ahead online) and gets seats picked out and then have the other adult board at the last minute with the little ones. They have train cars around to tour and plenty to do off the train while you wait. They are doing a Halloween train next month and we are definitely going to do it, assuming Lucy isn't here yet.

While I love when our family is all together, I really loved a date with my boy. He is so incredibly special to me and I am really going to miss it just being he and I on the weekends (when Susan is working/sleeping). I know Lucy will be special too, but Theo is the only one of our kids that I will ever get to experience parenting as an "only." I know he won't remember today, but I will - forever.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you two had a great time together...can't think of a better date with a toddler than trains and snacks!

    ReplyDelete