Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sometimes I feel like a rockstar.

And, sometimes I feel like the gum on the bottom of the seats at the arena. So far this morning, I've been both.

I decided to take both kids grocery shopping. I've done this one other time and it went really well. I put Theo in the cart and Lucy in the Moby where she generally sleeps while we shop. Theo is used to grocery shopping and as soon as he gets into the cart, he asks for his snack and cup. He knows the routine. So, today. I felt prepared. I got a parking place right next to the carts, which is key with two babies. Loaded Theo up and then was getting Lucy organized while he yells for his snack and the wind whips through all of us. Put the diaper bag in the cart and the sippy cup goes flying out and lands, yep, UNDER the van. Great. I somehow manage to get it without getting myself or Lucy injured and we start to walk inside Target. Realize I left Lucy's pacifier in her carseat. Back to the van.
Finally we get inside and I get coats off everyone and Theo his blasted snack. Now the cart is already half full with coats, hats and the diaper bag (have I mentioned I HATE winter??). We go off to one side of the store to get non-food, all the while Theo is kicking his feet backwards on the cart. I finally told him he was hurting Mama's brain and to STOP KICKING. I think I said this a million and one times. We get back over to the food section to start and he's eaten all his fish and is yelling "more fish! more fish!" I tell him I don't have any more and then he bursts into song and regales everyone in the store with Jingle Bells. I fly down the aisles trying to put myself and the other shoppers out of misery ASAP while he keeps kicking the cart and asking for a snack. We get to the checkout and he sees his snack food on the belt. "Snack! Snack! Bun Buns! Fish!" I'm ignoring him so he shouts something I don't understand but still ugly at the cashier. I stop ignoring, raise my voice and tell him in the best way I can manage: ENOUGH. He gets the point.
Get everything smooshed into the cart and begin stuffing hats and coats on everyone. Not that I need one, because I am sweating at this point and wondering what the hell I was thinking doing this. We get outside and I dump Theo in the van, but not in his seat because I have to take his stupid coat off to put him in the carseat (carseat safety is super fun in the winter, let me tell you). He bounces around while I wrestle Lucy into her carseat. She wakes up and starts screaming. I load all the groceries in the van, go to put the diaper bag in and the sippy cup flies out of the bag AGAIN and lands in the parking lot, narrowly missing being run over by the car beside me. I wish it had.
Return the cart and come around to get Theo in his seat. He's made himself at home on the bench seat on the way back of the van and has zero intention of listening to me about getting in his seat. This is pretty much when my brain exploded. I reached back and pulled him off the seat, took off his coat and buckled him while counting in my head, slowly and steadily. He then asked if we were going to see the "wa wa." No way, I told him. I explained that since he didn't listen to me we would not go see the wa wa. He didn't seem to care. Lucy screamed the whole way home.
We get home and I manage to get everyone and everything inside and as I am taking off his shoes Theo proclaims "good job Target." Uh, yeah. Me or you, kid?

Anyway. Not an outing that I felt like a rockstar. But, an hour after we got home and I had TWO fed and napping kids (with Lucy in the swing and not having to be held), I totally felt like I had rocked it out.

For now, anyway.

3 comments:

  1. you are brave! sounds like a good night for a glass of wine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never forget the night I picked up Ellie from preschool, and she's screaming about wanting to hold the umbrella. Cause it's cold, and rainy, and dark. And she's trying to grab the umbrella out of my hand and when she does, not only do I get soaked in the rain, but ALL of the water on top of the umbrella pours on top of my head. Then, her too-big-rain-boots fall off her feet, and one goes flying under the van parked next to us. So after hurridly putting my melting down two year old in the car seat (and tearing her jacket off (I'm with ya on the car seat safety), then I'm kneeling down on the wet pavement in my dress clothes, and use the umbrella to reach under the van and retreive her lost boot....as she's crying "my boot!!" Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, I can totally commiserate. That brought back so many memories from when Oliver was very little. And it does get easier with time, but I still have days like that. Glad you got home safely!

    ReplyDelete