Monday, October 4, 2010

30 Day Blog Challenge!

I stole this from my wonderful friend, Kelsi, who puts Martha Stewart to shame. I thought it would be a fun way to count down the last weeks until Lucy's arrival. Obviously, these are my answers - Susan likes to read the blog, but contributing is not her thing. The first 4 questions, since I am 4 days late to the party:

1. What do you regret the most?
Not being better with money when I was younger. I am still paying for those mistakes, including borrowing way more than I needed for student loans. I wish my 32 (for a few more days!) year old self could tell my 17 year old self that I would want to be a stay at home mom and that would be completely achievable if I had made better choices early on. I really do feel like I hit the lottery every day by only working 2 days/week, but I know it stresses Susan out and I wish it didn't. I love my career, but I love my family more.

2. Who/what can’t you live without?
I couldn't live without my family. Trite, but true. As far as the what - hmmm. I'm learning I can actually live without quite a bit these days. I would have said XM radio, but it got stolen two months ago and I didn't replace it and I am still alive. And probably smarter, as I now listen to NPR. Then I would have said my iPhone, but found out I could cut my bill almost in half by dropping it for a regular phone, which I did a month ago and ... still alive. Now probably safer, as there is nothing interesting to read as I drive to work. Our TV died a few days ago, and now we are watching a miniscule one that is currently on the floor (hello, ghetto!) and still breathing. Did I mention we also don't have cable? Oh, wait. I can think of something. Our washer is a little broken. I can't live without a washing machine. I realize this makes me sound like some sort of 50's housewife, but it was a major pain to have it out of commission for a day. We have two dogs and a kid who wears cloth diapers, so a washing machine is crucial.

3. If you could wish for anything that would come true, what would you wish for?
Money/debt free (see #1), to be able to send my kids to private school, to freeze time so that my babies wouldn't grow up, to mostly stay at home until all the kids are well into elementary school ... ok, that got long and many aren't realistic anyway. Really? I'd wish for my friend Kelsi to have a happy, healthy baby. She's going to be a great mom.

4. What is true love?
Ok, I really, really love my wife. She knows that and I know that. But. I can honestly say that even though I thought I understood true love, I don't think I did until I laid eyes on my son. I love him in a way I didn't know existed. It's primal, it's all consuming and if I really let myself ponder it's depths, I would stop breathing. When his little heart breaks (which is usually over something quite small at this stage in life), I can literally feel it in mine. I wake up 2 seconds before he does because I can feel he is going to. When he is sick, my heart aches. Really, it's crazy how much I love that kid and how connected we are. It is the truest, purest form of love I have ever encountered and I am so, so lucky.

But really, I love Susan a lot too.

No comments:

Post a Comment